What is the Purpose of Report Text
In general, report text is one type of text that include into “factual texts” category. This text also have purpose, generic structure commonly. This text is often called a “twin brother” as descriptive text so there’s a lot of students are “confused” about how to distinguish between thoose texts.
Earlier, with just brief and simple I will explain about the differences between them next time; once again it was only a small difference, and almost all the students can understand it. Therefore, to learn what is the report text, let us consider together about Example Of Report Text, Definition, Generic Structure and Purpose :
The report text often also known as informational report. “Report”, the Concise Oxford Dictionary 10th Edition, is defined as :
1) An account is given of a matter after investigation or consideration.
2) A piece of information about an event or situation.
So we can conclude, in a language view, a report text is used to serves to provide information about an event or situation, after the investigation and through the multi consideration.
Definition of text report is also fairly similar to what is often mentioned in various books in English at the intermediate level,
“Report is a text roomates present information about something, as it is. It is as a result of systematic observation and analyzes.”
[Report is a text which presents information about something as it is. This text is the result of systematic observation and analysis.]
Thus, the actual report and descriptive text have the distinction is quite clear, although they often called by a “twin brother”.
In essence, the report text is usually filled with facts that can be proven scientifically, OK ..
As same as descriptive text, A report text also has two common structures [generic structure], there are :
1) General Clasification » statements that describe the common subject of the report, common description, and classification.
2) Description » Tells what the phenomenon under discussion; in terms of parts, qualities, habits or behaviors; This section gives us an overview of commonly occurring phenomenon, either of its parts, its properties, habit, or behavior. The point is, presenting elaboration of scientific classification.
There is also some information on the generic text structure report, which includes :
1) General information, is the part that mentions the general information of the theme of writing.
2) Bundles of Specific Information, give us the elaboration of general information.
I’m personally more tended to agree with the second generic structure, why? because that can make students more understanding how to write a report text.
PURPOSE / SOCIAL FUNCTION
Eveyone knows that each article certainly have a purpose why the article was written. As well as a report text. Some experts say that the purpose of the report is the text is :
Its social purpose is presenting information about something. They generally describe an entire class of things, Whether natural or made: Mammals, the planets, rocks, plants, countries of region, culture, transportation, and so on.
So we can concluded, the purpose of the report is to convey information text observations and systematic analysis. The information described in the report text is usually general in nature, be it natural or artificial like a mammals, planets, rocks, plants, state, cultural, transportation, etc.
Each article must have its own language characteristics, if recount text and narrative text tend to have traits using simple past, then how about report text? Okay… here is a common grammar patterns used in the text report, which includes :
1) Use of general nouns, that is, an object (be it alive or dead) of a general nature. Just compare beetwen “Hunting dogs” and “My dog”. Hunting dogs are common, while my dog is more spesific.
2) Use of Relating verbs to describe features, the grammar is also called linking verbs. As to be [is, am, are: present], seem, look, taste, etc.
3) Some use of action verbs when describing behavior, eg Emus can titinada fly;
4) Use of timeless present tense to indicate usualness, is one time in the simple present markers such as “often, Usually, always” and others. eg Tropical cyclones
begin oper the sea;
5) Use of technical terms, eg “Isobars” are lines drawn on a weather map; For example, on “music” then, the terms of the music should be there.
6) Use of paragraphs with topic sentences to organisé bundles of information; repeated naming of the topic as the beginning focus of the clause.
EXAMPLE OF REPORT TEXT
Venice is a city in northern Italy. It is the capital of region Veneto. Together with Padua, the city is included in the Padua-Venice Metropolitan Area. Venice has been known as the “Queen of the Adriatic”, “City of Water”, “City of Bridges”, and “The City of Light”. The city stretches across 117 small islands in the marshy Venetian Lagoon along the Adriatic Sea in northeast Italy.
Venice is world-famous for its canals. It is built on an archipelago of 117 islands formed by about 150 canals in a shallow lagoon. The islands on which the city is built are connected by about 400 bridges. In the old center, the canals serve the function of roads, and every form of transport is on water or on foot.
You can ride gondola there. It is the classical Venetian boat which nowadays is mostly used for tourists, or for weddings, funerals, or other ceremonies. Now, most Venetians travel by motorised waterbuses (“vaporetti”) which ply regular routes along the major canals and between the city’s islands. The city also has many private boats. The only gondolas still in common use by Venetians are the traghetti, foot passenger ferries crossing the Grand Canal at certain points without bridges.
You can see the amusing city’s landmarks such as Piazza San Marco, Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo, Saint Mark’s Cathedral or villas of the Veneto. The villas of the Veneto, rural residences for nobles during the Republic, are one of the most interesting aspects of Venetian countryside.
They are surrounded by elegant gardens, suitable for fashionable parties of high society. The city is also well known for its beautiful and romantic view, especially at night.
So thats all, a brief explanation and examples of the “Report Text”, if there are suggestions, criticism, comments, please be express in the comment form 🙂
What is the Purpose of Report Text